About Us

Welcome to 1st Congregational UCC Church of Milton!

We are a long-standing congregation, a family in every way. We enjoy fellowship, taking care of each other, and being involved in each other’s lives. We enjoy talking about and learning about the Bible and God’s Word. We enjoy music and prayer as part of our worship service. We love to celebrate birthdays and anniversaries. We support each other through thick and thin, through sun and rain, and by walking in valleys and also on mountain tops together. Join us to experience authentic, loving, warm, and caring relationships with each other as well as with God and His Son Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.

Mission: To provide a safe, secure space for spiritual growth in a caring, welcoming environment and to pursue community involvement to provide charitable activities. We make a concentrated effort to involve younger people in ecumenical services.

Purpose: The avowed purpose of this church shall be to worship God, to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and to celebrate the Sacraments; to realize Christian fellowship and unity within this church and the Church Universal; to render loving service to mankind; and to strive for righteousness, justice, and peace.

Our Church’s History

The First Congregational United Church of Christ of Milton, Wisconsin traces its roots to August 16, 1838. Nine people gathered at the home of Ansel Dickinson near Mt. Zion to organize the first Protestant church in Rock County and the third Congregational Church in the Wisconsin Territory. Nine individuals signed the original charter of dedication.

The church was originally called the Congregational Church of Du Lac Prairie and Vicinity, as Milton was then known as Du Lac Prairie. In 1850, when the town was renamed, the church became known as the First Congregational Church of Milton.

The first pastor, Rev. David Smith, held services in the Dickenson home until 1840. A church building, measuring 20 ’x 30’, was constructed from wood on the Old Territorial Road about a mile southwest of the village. The men headed by Aaron & Jason Walker, hewed the logs from lumber hauled from Waukesha.