Celebrating 185 Years!
In September 2023, the church celebrated 185 years of service.
The First Congregational United Church of Christ of Milton, Wisconsin traces its roots to August 16, 1838. Nine people gathered at the home of Ansel Dickinson near Mt. Zion to organize the first Protestant church in Rock County and the third Congregational Church in the Wisconsin Territory. Nine individuals signed the original charter of dedication.
The church was originally called the Congregational Church of Du Lac Prairie and Vicinity, as Milton was then known as Du Lac Prairie. In 1850, when the town was renamed, the church became known as the First Congregational Church of Milton.
The first pastor, Rev. David Smith, held services in the Dickenson home until 1840. A church building, measuring 20 ’x 30’, was constructed from wood on the Old Territorial Road about a mile southwest of the village. The men headed by Aaron & Jason Walker, hewed the logs from lumber hauled from Waukesha.